Thursday, May 1, 2008

Knees To The Earth

On April 17, 1952, President Harry S. Truman signed a bill proclaiming the National Day of Prayer into law. It falls on the first Thursday of May each year - today, in fact. It seems that our nation needs to be reminded to pray, to engage in corporate prayer, at least once a year. Peculiar, I think. Remind us to pray? Are you kidding? How could you forget? But yet, I find myself forgetting to pray. Forgetting to give thanks. Praying when I'm too tired to really PRAY pray - heart felt, soul searching, passionate prayer. I am ashamed. But I am so thankful, I really am! I am only alive by the grace of God, who healed me from cancer last year. He had a reason to spare me, of that I'm sure. And boy, did I pray through those days! How could I become so complacent, so busy, that I wouldn't take the time to pray as I should? My priorities need to be re-evaluated. God is listening, it's just that I'm not saying enough...

Dear God,

Thank you for my life, and for every blessing. Thank you for loving me, unconditionally, and so faithfully. I pray for those who don't know you, Lord. I pray your Holy Spirit will enter their hearts, that they will be convicted, and accept you as their Lord and Savior. I pray your will be done in my life, and I thank you for the gift of prayer. May I never take it for granted.

In Jesus' holy name, AMEN.


No comments: