Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Reliable Person Wanted

I was talking with some friends tonight about one of my favorite subjects - reliability. No, not the kind the Maytag repairman anguishes over. I mean as in people who are reliable - do what they say they are going to do. Someone you can count on, 99 9/10% of the time. Of course, we humans foul things up once in a while and just plain forget to do something. But, what I see is a very short supply of people who really take it upon themselves to DO something they have committed to doing. Just plain flaky...why do they say "yes"? Has it just become lip service to say, "yea, I'll do that" and then make no effort to do it, nor feel the least bit bad about it later? I really have a problem with that. Are people afraid to say "no"? YES! They are! But I'd rather them say no, so I can ask someone else if I need a hand. Puleeeeaaasse!

It's one of the things I really strive for personally. To be reliable. To be where I say I'm going to be, do what I say I'm going to do. Am I perfect? I think not. But I strive for it, and don't take it lightly. I don't make excuses, and I don't blame others. I do it, unless I'm dying in bed, which I have actually been before!

It's odd; if you look in the want ads for job openings, almost all of them say "looking for a reliable...". It's important. But then, why do so many people not recognize that? Or are only reliable when it suits them? Such a good question, no good answer.

If I teach my daughter one thing in this life, and it may only be this one, it's to be reliable.


God is faithful (reliable, trustworthy, and therefore ever true to His promise, and He can be depended on); by Him you were called into companionship and participation with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. ~ 1 Corinthians 1:9 (Amplified Bible)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...reliability, the authentic virtue also known to be closely related to integrity, dependability, and faithfulness. I think scripture makes it pretty clear "let your yes be yes, and your no...no. Anything else is of the enemy"(Matt 5:37) It really is easy to understand why making promises to people, and not following through is not operating in the law of love, no wonder it disappoints and frustrates us :-(

pretty simple, and very clear for those who desire to walk in Him. That's what I want...to be a woman of my word, but better yet, a woman of His.

blessing Deb!!